Wednesday, August 20, 2008

How do I win a Freelance Job


How do I win a Freelance Job?
I want to win a job on Elance.com. I just started so I have no previous work listed on the site but have a good portfolio from 2 previous employers I posted. I just need to start somewhere. Should I try offering my services for dirt cheap just to get experience as a freelancer (say $50 for a logo design) or $7-8 /hr. I am a great designer but can't seem to win a bid. I also might try to guarantee my work.
Drawing & Illustration - 3 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
$7-8???!!! Damn man, that's close to minimum wage. Don't undersell yourself. A lot of newer designers think they can win jobs by undercutting prices on the competition, but this can work against you. Professionals know that designers cost money, and the really good ones cost alot (and rightfully so), but when they see your prices they may be thinking that nobody who knows what they're doing and has confidence in their work would charge so little. If you think about it...it makes sense. Say you went shopping for a car and a listing in the paper said "2009 Ford Mustang - never been driven......$100 bucks". Sounds to good to be true, and things like that usually are. That may be what's scaring potential clients from your service. Don't forget, you have a specialized skill that demands fair compensation, and while it may feel counter-intuitive to charge good money for your work, that's what you should be doing. You'll be doing yourself and our profession a favor.
2 :
It's far more beneficial to you to market your services on your own. Don't undersell yourself or your talent to the lowest bidder. People often get what they pay for so if they pay paltry prices, it reflects the content they will receive. Further, if you work for a paltry price, it doesn't say much for what you think of your talent. Market your services via your own website or blog.
3 :
It is very hard for new registrers in Elance.com to win projects, I tested it, because there are a lot of other freelancers that have a strong feedback. I advice you to start, like I did, with http://www.scriptlance.com/?ref=ilyesoft It's easier for new freelancers to be accepted, and if you are a good one, you will get a great success. You also don't have limitation in bids, you can bid freely how many you like, and you pay fees only when you win a projects, this is much better than elance. And they pay well, but in your first days, you try to bid for low prices, to buid a good feedback (2 - 6 projects ), then start enjoying high paid projects ! Good luck



 Read more discussions :