Wednesday, July 1, 2009

freelance job- menu


freelance job- menu?
I'm an in-house graphic designer and just took on a freelance job to design a menu for a bar & grille...i used to go to this bar all the time, i'm friends with most of the staff, and they've always treated me great..so i want to cut them a deal, but at the same time i'd like to make some extra cash...what would you charge? normally for a menu i'd charge upwards of a thousand
Drawing & Illustration - 3 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
estimate how much it will cost you, and give yourself 15-35% depending on how much u really like them.
2 :
Family and friends are a tough group to serve. If they are your friends, then they will understand your needs without you having to explain anything. A reduced rate is reasonable. Good luck!
3 :
For virtually ALL my design work, I charge an hourly rate, dependent on several factors, including the complexity of design, whether I will be creating illustrations, or doing page layouts, how much copy I will have to create/enter and several other things, INCLUDING whether I retain the copyright of the work, or, whether I am selling all rights to the client. If, in your case, you are selling the layout of the menu outright, then the rate would be much higher. By retaining the rights, the client cannot make any changes to the menu and still use the layout. In other words, if I retain ownership, the client must come back to me to make any changes. Selling the rights to the design can double and even triple what my hourly rate is. If, on occasion, the client wants me to quote an exact price, I use an old artist's trick. I estimate how long I think the project will take, factoring in all the posibilities I can think of, like rework, comps, approval stages, prepress and preflight checks, etc. I then DOUBLE the time I think it might take, because something ALWAYS goes wrong. Multiply that times the hourly rate, and that can serve as my cost estimate or the flat rate. I much prefer the hourly rate because, if the project comes in UNDER my estimate, the client is pleasantly surprised and happy. Regarding discounts: There should be no serious problem for OCCASIONAL discounts to friends, but they should be made to understand that you are in business and should not always expect a cut rate price. Does this restaurant give YOU a discount every time you eat there? Also, fight the temptation to undercut other professional designers in the area. Price wars tend to become a race to the bottom, with profits melting away for everyone.



 Read more discussions :