Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Can I claim the total mileage on my taxes to and from work for a freelance job


Can I claim the total mileage on my taxes to and from work for a freelance job?
It's 36 miles round trip. Can I claim all of that times the number of days I go to work? Thanks for your help.
United States - 3 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
Not unless it's a second job or driving is a part of the job
2 :
If this is a second job and you drive from the first one to the second one you can deduct the one-way miles from the first to the second. Otherwise it's not deductible.
3 :
commuting miles which is NEVER deductible is considered the mileage from your home to where you work and you state you go to 'work' as a freelance this is not deductible the mileage for errands, calling on clients and other things would be considered, but not 'work' if you go from one job(your regular job) to the one you freelance, that mileage is deductible



 Read more discussions :