Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Does it make sense to freelance write if I can't find a job


Does it make sense to freelance write if I can't find a job?
I've been looking for a few months and can't BUY a job, like a lot of other people. I have an opportunity to freelance for a little less than I usually make but I wouldn't have insurance and I do have kids (single parent). I just wonder if I should be taking away from the time I should be looking for a full-time job or invest in a new career as a freelance writer and work toward eventually being able to buy insurance. No spam please!!!

Other - Careers & Employment - 2 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
Can you write? Do you have an area of expertise which you can write about? Are your kids in school or do you have time when you can focus on your writing work without interruptions or being disturbed? It takes time to build up a writing career. Can you support yourself and your kids and invest the time and money necessary to build up a freelance business? Do you want a regular paycheck, or can you live with the ups and downs in freelance income? Do you know how much it will cost to provide your family with health insurance and other benefits you will have to provide for yourself out of your freelance income? And are you sufficiently disciplined to set aside money to pay all of your taxes before you pay rent/mortgage, groceries, etc? Only you can answer these and make a decision.
2 :
Well, if it's fast, steady, and reliable money you're after - freelancing is not your best option. But if you have time to invest in freelancing, without being too hard pressed to having a reliable income, you can market yourself and your skills via a personal website. You can contract your own jobs, without dealing with low balling bidders and middle man fees charged by freelancing sites. It won't be fast and it won't be easy - but it is doable, if you have time to dedicate to it




 Read more discussions :