Friday, February 1, 2013

Best or easiest way to get paid to do freelance writing


Best or easiest way to get paid to do freelance writing?
I'm looking for a way to leverage my interests, expertise and experience on a few different topics into a fairly steady supplemental income stream. I don't need big money, just something to supplement the day job. I'd be able to do some research, but nothing involving a lot of travel or a ton of extra time. So it would be awesome to hear about any methods others might have found, to find ready buyers for freelance non-fiction on whatever topics match up with the publisher's needs and my knowledge or abilities. Thanks!
Media & Journalism - 2 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
That's a tough one, because it's tough to get started. I've done plenty of it, and assignments often go to people who have already written plenty on a particular area. In other words, editors call who they know. My advice would be to pick an area of expertise, figure out a way to do it -- even if you have to write for free, and build up a clippings file. Then you can start sending query letters out to publications and outlets of interest. One warning -- this is not a business for the faint of heart. Expect delays and rejections by the barrel. You'll have to keep at it. If you are good, you'll get some work down the road.
2 :
I write on health and wellness topics. I joined an online discussion group of health promotion professionals. Whenever a topic comes up that I have some experience or knowledge, I contribute in great detail. I try to not only be informative and helpful, but also show a little humor and make the information interesting. Then I sign the message with my full name, address, and phone number. I also include a title, "Freelance Health/Wellness Writer and Consultant." I would say that 90% of my business has been generated from this approach. It didn't happen overnight, mind you. It took months of consistent contributions. But eventually, I became a recognized entity and started getting inquiries. It has been my experience that many vendors are members of such groups looking for clients and resources. I'm not saying this is the best way to break into freelancing, but it definitely worked for me. If you can find chat/discussion groups in your area(s) of interest, give it a try



 Read more discussions :