Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Print & Publication design: What should they pay me, freelance vs part time position


Print & Publication design: What should they pay me, freelance vs part time position?
I was offered a job last week and need to determine a fair salary. Originally the job was a freelance position offering 30 hours a week in print design work (paid on an hourly rate). The person who had this job was responsible for the design and layout of a 16 page magazine, light ad sales, and other design work such as brochures. I do not know how much this person was paid, but I do know he had the time to take other freelance jobs on the side with other businesses. This job was transformed into a part time position and offered to me. The hours would still remain around 30 a week, but in addition to the above duties, I will also be the editor of the magazine and have to write articles, take photographs, and do copy editing. The job comes with no health insurance, and working 30 hours a week, I won't be able to take a significant 2nd job. For all this work, what would be a fair hourly rate?
Careers & Employment - 1 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
30 hours a week, all that work, and no benefits? Sounds like they are taking advantage of you. I'd ask for at least $20 an hour. I'm amazed at how many employers call 30 hours a week part time lately, just so they can avoid paying benefits



 Read more discussions :