Friday, March 20, 2009

I understand there is a job market for freelance business writing or writing for companies; how do I break in


I understand there is a job market for freelance business writing or writing for companies; how do I break in?

I would like to work from home. I understand there may be work writing brochures, copy for websites, and sales letters. I have no experience writing advertising copy. Should I check out some on-line courses for business writing? I understand Harvard has such a course. I am already a solid writer. Do I need any of these classes, which may be unnecessarily expensive.
Small Business - 1 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
It's hard to tell if you need them or not because the only example of your writing is the question you posted. Freelancing is a tough act - you have to build a reputation before people seek you out. It's like the old conundrum of needing experience to get a job, but needing a job to get experience. You can try targeting a company - write a promotional brochure and present it to them. They may reject you out of hand. They may have staff writers. Or they may say they'll keep your name on file. If you go for a course in business writing, check to make sure they don't just hand you your diploma with a smile and a handshake and leave you on your own to find work. If you are already a solid writer (you don't say in which field) you may be able to build on that and use that expertise. When you contact companies with your draft proposal, list your previous publications as well. good luck



 Read more discussions :