Friday, January 8, 2010

can a graphic design firm actually restrict me from doing freelance jobs on my own time


can a graphic design firm actually restrict me from doing freelance jobs on my own time?
I am offered a graphic design position doing a specific type of product but they said that I wouldn't be able to do freelance jobs on my own time. If they make me sign a contract stating this, they can really do this? And if they don't make me sign a contract stating this, would I be in the clear to do what I want?
Technology - 1 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
Can they do this? Yes. Is it legal? Yes. If I signed the contract, ignore it, and performed freelance jobs, what can happen? Since you intentionally broke the contract, there are several things your employer could do. At the very least, you'd get a letter placed in your employment file. You could get fired. You could get fired and sued. If you didn't sign a contract, you did freelance jobs, what could happen? Most employment is "at will", and you could get fired. The course you should take is clear. During your employment interview, you should make your intentions clear and, if they agree with you, you should ask for their agreement in writing. "...they said that I wouldn't be able to do freelance jobs on my own time." Oh, wait a minute, you already know what their perspective is and you should pay attention



 Read more discussions :