Thursday, April 4, 2013

Is it easy to get a job as a photographer



Is it easy to get a job as a photographer?
I am interested in photography and am thinking about majoring in it for college... I'm interested in wedding & portrait, fashion, freelance, fine art, and still life photography. Is it easy to get a job in one of these categories? Can you support yourself on it?
Photography - 3 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
Depends on the competition in your area. You might be able to go into business for yourself if the demand is high enough
2 :
Is it easy to get a job as a photographer? Sure. Just put a portfolio online and make a pricelist and you're a photographer. Is it easy to get a job as a photographer and make a good living at it? I would say it's pretty difficult. The market is extremely oversaturated at the moment and it's only going to get more that way in the next 10 years. Generally speaking, jobs that are thought of as cool or fun are either worse paying or have stiffer competition, and I would say photography is pretty high up there on the cool and fun scale in most people's eyes.
3 :
Good jobs are as rare as hens teeth. I see portrait photography vacancies for minimum wage. Fifteen years ago I was a freelance assistant. The photographers I worked for warned me that the money was going out of photography then. Now after working as a photographer for ten + years I've seen the amount clients pay drop by 50% and the salaries for full-time commercial photographers drop by a third. Some people do very well out of photography, but they are decreasing year on year. Sorry if I sound negative, but I honestly wouldn't encourage anyone to enter the profession


 Read more discussions :