Wednesday, August 8, 2012

How do I break into freelance journalism


How do I break into freelance journalism?
I am a writer and looking to start a freelance career. I have been published before, but I am trying to make writing a full time job. Any suggestions?
Media & Journalism - 3 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
Just keep writing and submitting. Learn the art of the query letter for magazines. That will help
2 :
It really depends on WHAT you want to write, but here's one strategy that generates a lot of interest in my work. I write non-fiction, health-related material based on my background as a former wellness manager and nurse. I participate in an online professional discussion group of wellness professionals. You just never know who monitors such groups. It's not unusual for people looking for knowledge experts to be among the recipients. You won't support yourself JUST doing this, but it is one way to get noticed. I try to contribute often, but I always make a point of being very clear, informative, and interesting in my answers. I always sign my input with my name, the title "Freelance health/wellness writer and consultant," my address and phone number. Of course, the email is in the response line of the email. So my suggestion to you is to find discussion groups/forums where your topics are likely to come up and pitch in whenever there is a thread that you can expand on.
3 :
Try some of the many freelancing sites out there to find freelance writing jobs. Not only will this earn you an income but you will be gaining valuable experience with each project you complete. Try the guide at http://www.freelancebuddy.com as this provides some really useful information about marketing yourself in the freelancing world and also includes an updated link library of good freelancing sites



 Read more discussions :