Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Do you think it is ethical to tell my boss in my full time job about my freelance work



Do you think it is ethical to tell my boss in my full time job about my freelance work?
I am working full time but have been starting to get a lot of freelance work. I'm thinking of going to my 9 to 5 just 4 days a week, and they said it is alright if I do that, but I said I might be enrolling in a class, I didn't say the real reason. Did I do the right thing? I work about 35 hours a week in my office job as a 1099 contractor with no benefits. I work about 35 hours a week in my office job as a 1099 contractor with no benefits, And the freelance work is the same nature as my office work.
Other - Careers & Employment - 3 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
Not really. If you are doing the same kind of work freelance that you are doing full time then you are technically cheating your boss. Full time means you work at that job only for them, where if you did a different kind of work; it would be moon-lighting and as long as there were no schedule conflicts you would not be in competition. You will either be honest or dishonest in your decision. There is no shady area here.
2 :
It's not really a question of ethics, as long as you aren't using any work resources (including time on their clock) for your freelance work, and as long as there is no conflict of interests. However, your primary employer might have policies against freelance work, or at least policies that require you notify your employer. In which case, failure to do so could get you terminated. This often is an enforced policy, but you're better pff not giving them grounds to terminate you for cause. My suggestion: either talk to your boss, or look into whether there are any polcies in place and then decide how to approach it. Good luck!
3 :
It's not about ethics and it's not about right or wrong. There's a reason it's called a private life. If it doesn't compromise or interfere with your day job, keep it to yourself. Good Luck



 Read more discussions :