Friday, December 16, 2011

Can I get paid to freelance and work part-time by the same company


Can I get paid to freelance and work part-time by the same company?
I am currently working for a media organization. A year ago, I began freelance reporting for them once a week (football games) . Since then, I was hired on a part-time basis. I've requested to continue my freelance reporting (my part-time job isn't in reporting) but I'm told I cannot freelance and work for the same station. I'm not sure if this is entirely correct, since I'm only part time. Who is right here? Further, I've explained that I'd be willing to do the freelancing for free -- as my top priorities are exposure and experience before actual compensation, and they've said that would also be a legal problem. Any knowledge and/or suggestions to share for this?
Corporations - 1 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
Unfortunately, either you're an employee (full time or part time) or your a subcontractor (freelancer). You can't be both. The IRS has a detailed list of what makes you an employee (it's something like 27 different rules). And they've come down hard on companies that mess this up. So if you're a p/t employee, then any other work you do for them is compensation as an employee. And if you do it for "free" then they could have a DOL issue on their hands and they probably don't want that either. So . . . . now you know the rest of the story! Good luck



 Read more discussions :