Thursday, November 12, 2009

How would you charge for over time on a freelance job



How would you charge for over time on a freelance job?
In the beginning, I have set up the price with the employer for an 8hr freelance job. But then, after some changes and difficulties on the content and equipment, he wanted me to stay over night to help him finishing up the job. Eventually, I was there the whole night working and until the next day afternoon. Total hours comes up to a 20 hours work time and I didn't get paid when leaving the office. Now, I am sending him my invoice so I am wondering if I should charge that many extra hours. Or how much more would you charge him? We get along well and have good time working together so I don't want to kill any future opportunity by dumping a big number on him. But I really should charge for extra time, right? Not exactly the overtime per hour but the extra work and time I did for the job.
Small Business - 2 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
Unless you quoted him per hour and he knew that you should not. You bill per job, you bill him exactly what you agreed to. You can't change the contract after the fact. You are sell employed, there is no over time.
2 :
If you have a contract quoting your fees per hour, then you might have a case for charging him the extra hours. Most projects I do as a freelancer are usually for a flat rate. The advantage is, the client knows how much he's paying, and the freelancer knows how much he's getting. Factor in any extra hours into a flat fee. That generally works fairly to both parties.


 Read more discussions :