Tuesday, January 24, 2012

What should I ask to be paid for a freelance web design job


What should I ask to be paid for a freelance web design job?
I'm 18. My sister works for a landscaping company and their website is horrible. They want me to redo it. I've done websites since junior high and am pretty experienced in it but have never done one for pay. What do you suggest I ask to be paid being a freelance hobbyist? Should it be by hour, or a flat rate charge for the design and then by the hour? Awesome answers... but can anyone ball park me what I should do for a pretty basic design job? www.theartfulgardener.com is their current
Technology - 4 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
Your best bet would be to quote for the whole job, not an hourly rate. Have a look around and see what the going rate is for the type of site you are going to pitch to the client. Make sure you get a good brief from the client, otherwise, you can spend a lot of time and they turn around and say no at the end. Show the customer some drafts once you have found out what they want from the site. BTW, I charge for every edit afterwards.
2 :
a friend of mine does freelance graphic design for websites and she gets anywhere from 15 to 40 US dollars per hour.
3 :
Pricing varies due to a number of factors: experience level, quality of work (talent), and market. For example, in the Orlando area, freelance web design is usually priced between $35 - $55/hr (according to a good friend of mine). It might seem low because you most likely won't have to brainstorm and come up with concepts for the site, the client will give that to you. Also, you could contact a freelancer in your area and see how much the freelancer charges. Then you can set your price accordingly based on experience level. Yes, it should be based hourly. The project can be pitched as costing x-amount of dollars total, but you will have to do a breakdown of time that you anticipate will be spent on the project to see if you're getting enough per hour in the end.
4 :
For an inexperienced web designer, I would start charging by page and/or project. When I was in college, I would charge $30 per an hour to design and maintain a business web site. Professionals can charge up to $120/hr depending on the level of programming and design. Charge something like $25 per page. For decent size web sites, charge $500 for the site. If you want to be professional about it, you create a business proposal with mock-ups, then discuss fees. As a business owner, it would be hard for me to invest in an 18-year old with no resume. You better have some good mock-ups and wireframes



Read more discussions :