Wednesday, January 4, 2012

What can I do to omit a recent employer from my job history without hurting my chance for new employment



What can I do to omit a recent employer from my job history without hurting my chance for new employment?
I parted way with my last employer in March and have been having trouble finding another job. I thought I had a good reference, but since I am now in a dispute with them over unemployment, I'm not so sure. I'm in a specialized field and it doesn't look good to have no reference, so a friend in HR recommend I omit them from my resume. I have been doing freelance for awhile as well, so to say I've just been doing that. My question is, won't my last employer show up if they do a background check, even if I don't include them? It prob doesn't look good to say you're freelancing and then have a job you didn't include pop up on your job history.
Other - Careers & Employment - 3 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
don't include them, backround checks are for criminal stuff not ur past jobs
2 :
JUst because you have unemployment issues with your job, does not mean they will give you a bad reference (if that is why you're planning to omit them). Just provide any new opportunities with the name and number of your direct manager (not the HR dept. or something). That way, your manager will give any potential future employers the real scoop. Secondly, even if you omit your past employer from your resume, any new employers won't give it much thought. You're just hurting yourself by not listing experience you had with a company (and not freelancing, which might make you look unstable and a risk for big companies).
3 :
Don't leave them off, because as you stated, if they do a background check it will show up & that will raise more suspicions than not. Maybe what you could do is contact someone at the previous employer with whom you have a good relationship (former supervisor or colleague) and see if they would mind if you listed them specifically as a reference for that company. If you leave it off and you're hired & they find out later that you left it of, it could be grounds for dismissal. Also, if you're curious about what they're saying about you, you could have a friend (especially if you have a friend in HR) call for a reference as if you're looking for work with them. Slightly sneaky but it would give you a heads up



 Read more discussions :