Wednesday, January 20, 2010

What is the going rate for a freelance graphic artist



What is the going rate for a freelance graphic artist?
I am doing a freelance job for a guys starting his own business. He wants me to tell him how much it will cost him for me to do rough idea sketches to start out. then after we brainstorm with those he'll pay me for the finished product. I usually don't do this so I'm not sure what to charge him. I want to tell him what to pay me per step of the design. (note: I have to design several versions for T-shirts, bumper stickers, signs, etc.)
Small Business - 2 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
It is always a good idea to charge the brainstorming hours. For example, logo design is $300 (not sure the price, but check around, and depends on your degree). Client needs to pay for it first. When you come up with the design at first draft 3-5 designs (black & white), then 1/3 of it is NOT refundable. Then you will work on the colors and final version. Nothing will be refundable if you got the colored version. Final, cut him a CD with color code in CMYK, RGB and AI, PDF. JPG with font information. Never send him any "printable" file, always email pdf or jpg. not the 300dpi.
2 :
Look around at your competitors for similar things in your area. That'll give you a base to work from




 Read more discussions :