Saturday, January 12, 2008

How can I keep my freelance job from suffering during jury duty


How can I keep my freelance job from suffering during jury duty?
I work freelance, so I only get paid when I am actively working. I also have many clients and those clients have deadlines. Jury Duty pops up and now I'm screwed. Some clients informed me they will have to find others to complete the job, ie bye-bye paycheck. What can I do, help? Diane the Succubus (PFLAG) Actually no... They pretty much said if I am old, mentally retarded, in college, or am a criminal I can get out of duty. I checked, and they said financial hardship is not covered. While you are not supposed to be able to fire someone from jury duty, the companies are allowed to "move on" and they don't owe me a cent. Kinda unfair to us hourly workers if you ask me, especially when my next payment on where I live depends on if I get work or not... doinou You know something, your response greatly saddens me. You show 0 compassion for the jurors that may lose their job, not be able to pay bills, etc. Forget the boring court part, or anything else. And then you want to tell me I should do my duty and be glad? Excuse me if I sound cynical or sarcastic, but you don't think someone giving up their rights to live securely, with $10/day compensation, so they can hear a stranger's plight is a little hypocritical?

Civic Participation - 2 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
Unless you are sequestered you can work evenings... Trials typically end for the day at mid afternoon 2-3, which leaves several evening hours for you to work... Before your selection as a juror you were asked if serving on a jury would cause a hardship, your status as a freelance worker should have been brought up as a financial hardship...
2 :
If you were charged with something or being sued, you would want a jury. Do you duty and be glad this is our system