Friday, June 20, 2008

Should I quit my dead end job for freelance work


Should I quit my dead end job for freelance work?

I've been at the job 7 months, I'm not learning anything and the pay sucks, but it's stable. On the other hand, great freelance opportunities come up now and again that I have to turn down because of this job. Should I just quit so I can free up my time? Doing contract/freelance work is very common in my field.
Other - Careers & Employment - 2 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
that decision is for u to make. before deciding, you need to know: - how much income u think the franlance work will make, and whether the income will cover your current money salary and employee benefits (health care, vacation, etc) - can u do freelance while keeping ur current job?
2 :
Wow, I have actually been struggling with the very same situation! You a writer by chance? Anyway, I've decided that you should do what you can afford to do. If you can financially afford to walk away from your current position, I see no reason why you should stay there. Most of us work for one of two reasons: because the work pays our bills or because the work is rewarding and fulfilling. I went to college (a pricey one, I might add) to ensure future happiness, not future wealth. While I'd be doing myself a favor to give up the b.s. jobs and persue more freelance writing, right now, it simply doesn't fit within my means. I have bills, and freelance work is no guarantee. I've decided to ride my crappy job out until I'm able to pick up a full-time position or until I have become reputable enough as a freelancer to support myself. If you don't have to keep your crappy job, I'd certainly advise you to cut corners. This isn't the way I imagined my life. Beyond that, ask yourself what your future holds. If you stay with your job, is there an end in sight? Give yourself limits, like "I'll stay here until I have obtained 5 major clients in my freelance business," or "I'll leave the next time I'm forced to turn down another big opportunity." You need to figure out what your long term goal is, and go from there. Keep in mind that there are always blue collar jobs available (graveyard shifts, waiting tables, stocking shelves, etc.) that offer a lot of flexibility in many cases. It's not ideal, but it might supplement your income while you satisfy your ambition. Best of luck to you. I can totally empathize


 Read more discussions :